Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:01:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the An Open Specification for Pretty Good Privacy Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: OpenPGP Message Format
	Author(s)	: J. Callas, L. Donnerhacke, H. Finney, R. Thayer
	Filename	: draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-01.txt
	Pages		: 63
	Date		: 28-Sep-00
	
This document defines many tag values, yet it doesn't describe a
mechanism for adding new tags (for new features). Traditionally the
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) handles the allocation of
new values for future expansion and RFCs usually define the
procedure to be used by the IANA.  However there are subtle (and not
so subtle) interactions that may occur in this protocol between new
features and existing features which result in a significant
reduction in over all security. Therefore this document does not
define an extension procedure. Instead requests to define new tag
values (say for new encryption algorithms for example) should be
forwarded to the IESG Security Area Directors for consideration or
forwarding to the appropriate IETF Working Group for consideration.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 14:15:51 +0200

Hi!

Thanks for updating the draft Jon.

I think we should add the section on the new MDC packets.  Those are
implemented in PGP 7 and GnuPG 1.0.3.  Hal: Can you post this
proposed section again?

Assuming that AES will be announced quite soon, we could issue a new
draft right after this event.

Ciao,

  Werner

-- 
Werner Koch				GnuPG key:  621CC013
OpenIT GmbH                             http://www.OpenIT.de