Subject: Re: MDC, gnupg 1.0.3, and PGP7

From: "Michael Young" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:15:57 -0400

Thanks for the examples from 1.0.4a.

Do you still have the examples generated by PGP7 that you used for
interoperability testing?

>And here come the same thing with compression:
...
>The MDC packet is not listed due to a bug/implementation issue.

Do you believe the bug is in the generation, or in the parsing?
I believe that it's in the generation: the compressed data packet uses
an old-style indeterminate length, leading your parser (and mine) to
treat the MDC packet as contained within it.

---

From: Werner Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:56:26 +0200

> interoperability testing?

See Hal's mail.

> Do you believe the bug is in the generation, or in the parsing?

No, it is due to the way it is implemented.  The MDC check is done
by the decryption fucntion.

> an old-style indeterminate length, leading your parser (and mine) to

I am not sure but I thing this is allowed.

   Werner

-- 
Werner Koch				GnuPG key:  621CC013
OpenIT GmbH                             http://www.OpenIT.de