Subject: the joys of public key-rings (NOT)

From: Erron Criddle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:16:33 +0800

To all,

We have downloaded a PGP 5.0 Key-Ring from a key-server and expecting a new 
format (OpenPGP) header (0xC6) with a version 4 public key (new format 
packet), we are getting an old format header (0x99) with a version 4 public 
key (new format packet)!

So, what to do for the transfer of public key-rings????

Do we use:

1) old format headers with old format packets
2) old format headers with new format packets
3) new format headers with old format packets, or:
4) new format headers with new format packets???

Please help as we are just sitting here drinking lots and want to get back 
to programming and testing...

TIA.

---

From: Tom Zerucha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:23:13 -0400

> packet), we are getting an old format header (0x99) with a version 4 public 

This is withing spec.

> 4) new format headers with new format packets???

Yes.  In that you should accept all formats.  The header/encapsulation
should be separate from the actual packet formats.

> to programming and testing...

If you want to be nice, you should encapsulate old format packets in
old format headers, and new in new.