Subject: 2 octet length determination

From: Erron Criddle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:47:22 +0800

To all,

After a lot of "wondering" about how to write a version 4 two octet length, 
I thought it would be nice to post this for a two octet length (192 to 8383 
octets):

let a  = (total data packet length) - 192

let bc = two octet representation of a

let d = b + 192

 From this, the two octet value to write is equal to dc.

Nice and easy :)

2440bis/4.2.2.2 tells you how to determine that packet length from a two 
octet length, however it does not tell you how to code the two octet length 
packet and it may be worth adding the above simplified formula for us dummies.

Erron Criddle
Comasp Ltd.
Level 2, 45 Stirling Hwy
NEDLANDS  WA  6009
Australia

Fax: +61 8 9386 9473
Tel: + 61 8 9386 9534

http://www.comasp.com
[email-masked]