Subject: Fwd: Re: rfc2440bis-02 comments

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:57:30 -0800

this sounds way too vague.  how are the other implementors
with this?

>On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Marc Horowitz wrote:
>
> > 3. Subpacket 23 (key server preferences) is specified to be "found
> >    only on a self-signature".  It should say if that means a direct
> >    key signature (which makes the most sense to me), or something
>
>As with many other subpackets there is no clear definition on what
>to do and it is left to the implementor to decide this.  From my
>understanding it does make sense to handle such things this way:
>
>   * If it is on any direct key signature, use this one (or exactly
>     the one on the latest direct key signure.
>
>   * Otherwise take it from the latest self-signature.
>
>(I have worked out some more rules and checked them with Hal.
>Currently I can't access them - please ask me next week, if you are
>interested)

"I have worked out some more rules" implies he had to work out
rules, which implies the text merits changing.