Subject: Re: [openpgp] Version 5 key and fingerprint proposal

From: Ben McGinnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2017 13:43:22 +1000

On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 11:05:17AM -0700, Jon Callas wrote:
> My preference is to use SHA-512. My rationale is:
> 
> * Fingerprints of keys don't have to be computed continuously. They
> * can be computed ones and the result cached for a reasonably long
> * period of time. For every argument about speed on small machines,
> * there's an equal and opposite counter-argument about speed on
> * large machines. I've pulled my hands back several times from
> * saying more. I won't unless provoked. I think the better argument
> * is that speed of computing a fingerprint doesn't matter.
> 
> * If we use SHA-512, we extend the length of time before we have to
> * have this argument again.

Admittedly I was already leaning in favour of SHA-512, but this last
bit here pushed me over the line in spite of the issues affecting the
small machines faction.

Regards,
Ben