Subject: Re: [openpgp] Version 5 key and fingerprint proposal

From: Vincent Breitmoser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:11:25 +0200

Hi,

(also picking this up from the expiry thread:)

It has been a while since this thread died down, and it looks like the
topic of the v5 fingerprint format turned out to be somewhat of a
blocker for 4880-bis as a whole.

Compared to many other changes, the overall deal of consensus vs.
necessity vs. usefulness vs. ecosystem complexity for this issue doesn't
seem that good.

However, we *do* have a bunch of things that we have easy consensus on
(many of which are in the first draft!), and that would be helpful to
have in the spec.  It would be a shame if those things were blocked by
our inability to finish the fingerprint discussion.

So I'd like to put a new proposal on the table: we stick with the v4
fingerprint format, and focus on other topics.

 - V

---

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 15:58:47 +0000

> fingerprint format, and focus on other topics.

Since I was one of the ones that proposed alternatives, let me say that
I'm happy with Werner's proposal as it stands.  I did see one issue with
a "0x99" where it should have been "0x9a", but that's an editorial
issue.

My sense of the group is that we want to move away from SHA-1 where
possible, and I think Werner's proposal gets us to that point.
-- 
brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US
https://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only
OpenPGP: https://keybase.io/bk2204