Subject: [payload] #4: Section 1.1.2: Temporal Scalability Support

From: "payload issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 02:22:20 -0000

#4: Section 1.1.2:  Temporal Scalability Support

 HEVC  includes  an  improved  support  of  temporal  scalability,  by
    inclusion of the signaling of TemporalId in the NAL unit header, the
    restriction that pictures of a particular temporal sub-layer cannot
    be used for inter prediction reference by pictures of a higher
    temporal sub-layer, the sub-bitstream extraction process, and the
    requirement  that  each  sub-bitstream  extraction  output  be  a
    conforming bitstream.  Media-aware network elements (MANEs) can
    utilize the TemporalId in the NAL unit header for stream adaptation
    purposes based on temporal scalability.

 [BA] The wording is a bit confusing; this appears to say that pictures
 from a higher temporal layer cannot reference pictures of a lower temporal
 layer, which isn't right. As noted in the succeeding section:

 A TSA picture and
    pictures following the TSA picture in decoding order do not use
    pictures prior to the TSA picture in decoding order with TemporalId
    greater  than  or  equal  to  that  of  the  TSA  picture  for  inter
    prediction reference.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-payload-
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  rtp-h265                 |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Active WG Document       |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/payload/trac/ticket/4>
payload <http://tools.ietf.org/payload/>