Subject: [payload] draft-demjanenko-payload-melpe-00.txt

From: "Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 10:58:57 -0400

Hello everyone.

I'd like to introduce myself and make you aware of our recent draft of a
payload specification.

My company, VOCAL Technologies, has been in the business of licensing
software and algorithms for communications system for the past 25 years.  We
have implemented all sorts of telephone line standards (including data, fax
and voice) and now all sorts of VoIP protocols (including various common
protocols and speech coders).

One speech coder that we have used quite extensively over the past 10 years
is MELP/MELPe.  These were initially developed by DOD/NSA and later issued
as a world-wide standard by NATO as STANAG 4591.  This speech coder operates
at three different rates, 2400, 1200 and 600bps.  The primary use was for
encrypted radio channels.  We have had customers use MELP/MELPe for all
sorts of applications and we have bridged traditional VOIP with MELP.

After packaging MELP in RTP for several customers, we have realized that we
need to promote a standardized RTP payload for this speech coder.  This
draft is an effort that we believe should result in an RFC to specify the
RTP payload format and SDP parameters for the MELPe speech coder.

Thank you for your time and comments.

(BTW, we have audio examples of MELP encoded speech at
http://www.vocal.com/audio-examples/other-speech-coder-audio-examples/.  I
hope to not be seen as self promoting but rather enlightening.  Since many
people may not be aware of MELP, I wanted to briefly convey the context and
potential applications.)

Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D.
Associate
VOCAL Technologies, Ltd.
520 Lee Entrance
Amherst, NY  14228
 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
 <http://www.vocal.com> http://www.vocal.com
Tel: +1-716-688-4675
Fax: +1-716-639-0713

Confidential Information
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
confidential and intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the
transmission.  It may therefore be protected from unauthorized use or
dissemination.  If you are not the intended recipient or the intended
recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that any review, use,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  You are also asked to notify us immediately by telephone and to
delete this transmission with any attachments and destroy all copies in any
form.  Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

---

From: "Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 13:08:13 -0400

Hello everyone.

 

Victor Demjanenko, Ph.D.
Associate
VOCAL Technologies, Ltd.
520 Lee Entrance
Amherst, NY  14228
[email-masked]
http://www.vocal.com
Tel: +1-716-688-4675
Fax: +1-716-639-0713

Confidential Information