Subject: [PMOL] (CFP) IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future Internet (ManFI 2012)
From: "Leonidas Lymberopoulos" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:33:43 +0200
List-Id: Performance Metrics at Other Layers <pmol.ietf.org>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future Internet
(ManFI 2012)
==================================================================================
16 April 2012
Maui, Hawaii, USA
http://www.manfi.org

CALL FOR PAPERS
---------------
The Fourth IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future
Internet (ManFI 2012) will be held in conjunction with IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2012
in Maui, Hawaii, USA, from April 16-20, 2012. The workshop is sponsored by
the IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) and supported by POSTECH ITCE,
Ghent University-IBBT, NEC, and Ericsson LM. The workshop is endorsed by
the Technical Committee on Network Operations and Management (CNOM).

It is widely agreed that, despite its many successes, the current Internet
also has a set of systemic problems, ranging from an upcoming shortage of
IP addresses to insufficient security. However, the lack of scalable and
agile manageability is arguably more important, as without management, it
is impossible to build systems that adapt the services and resources
offered in a context-dependent manner.

In either case (clean slate vs. evolution vs. revolution) we must consider
the manageability of the Future Internet from the beginning. Following the
success of the three previous editions of this workshop, held in
conjunction with IM 2009, NOMS 2010 and IM 2011, ManFI 2012 aims at
providing an international forum for researchers in these and similar
areas. ManFI 2012 will combine original full paper presentations with a
motivating keynote, quick hot topic presentations and a panel discussion
to thoroughly explore this challenging topic.

Topics of interest
------------------
Authors are invited to submit papers that fall into or are related to the
topic areas listed below:
- Architectural Issues
      * Advantages and disadvantages of revolutionary, evolutionary, and
other approaches to managing the Future Internet
      * Separation of data, control, and management planes
      * Design of architectural building blocks for managing the Future
Internet
      * Advances in measurement, management, security, accounting, mobility,
and other functions
      * Virtualization of resources and services
      * Dynamic composition of management and operational functionality
      * Mechanisms for managing interconnected computational infrastructures
(e.g. elastic clouds, federated clouds) in the Future Internet
      * Implications of social network success on the Future Internet
architecture
- Design and Implementation Issues
      * Abstractions for programmable network elements
      * Accommodating context-awareness in management
      * Applying  situation awareness to network management
      * Federation between administrative domains and support of all
constituencies
      * The role of models, ontologies, and other knowledge abstractions in
the Future Internet
      * Uncertainty and probabilistic approaches to management of the Future
Internet
      * Approaches for the organization of management data, data analytics
and visualization
      * Experience reports from Future Internet experimental facilities
set-up and results
- Economic Issues
      * Economic aspects driving the deployment of Future Internet  
management
technology
      * Economic opportunities and challenges for management technology
      * Experience reports from management in test beds

Paper submission
----------------
Paper submissions must present original, research or experiences.
Late-breaking advances and work-in-progress reports from ongoing research
are also encouraged. Only original papers that have not been published or
submitted for publication elsewhere can be submitted. Each submission must
be written in English, accompanied by a 75 to 200 word abstract that
clearly outlines the scope and contributions of the paper, and a list of
up to 5 key words. There is a length limitation of 6 pages (including
title, abstract, all figures, tables, and references) for regular
conference papers, and 4 pages for short papers. Submissions must be in
IEEE 2-column style. Papers exceeding these limits, multiple submissions,
and self-plagiarized papers will be rejected without further review.
Authors should submit their papers in PDF, postscript, or Word formats via
JEMS: (https://submissoes.sbc.org.br/).

Proceedings
-----------
Papers accepted for ManFI 2012 will be included in the conference
proceedings, IEEE Xplore, and EI Index. The IEEE reserves the right to
remove any paper from IEEE Xplore if the paper is not presented at the
workshop. Awards will be presented to the best paper and to the best
student paper at the workshop. Furthermore, we plan to work with a leading
journal, such as JNSM, TNSM and IJNM, to solicit extended versions of the
best papers of ManFI 2012 to be submitted for review.

Workshop Co-Chairs
------------------
- Prof. James Won-Ki Hong, POSTECH, Korea
- Prof. Filip De Turck, Ghent University - IBBT, Belgium
- Dr. Yoshiaki Kiriha, NEC, Japan
- Dr. Sven van der Meer, Ericsson LM, Ireland

Publicity Co-Chairs
-------------------
- Leonidas Lymberopoulos, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Cathryn Peoples, University of Ulster, UK

Important dates
---------------
- Abstract registration deadline: December 14, 2011
- Paper submission: December 20, 2011
- Notification of acceptance: January 31, 2012
- Final version of papers due: February 15, 2012
- Workshop date: April 16, 2012

For more information, please contact one of the Workshop Co-Chairs at
[email-masked]

Content-class: urn:content-classes:message
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 18:57:39 +0100
From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Cc: pmol mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: [PMOL] Call for Volunteers for the Performance Metrics Directorate

The IESG recently approved RFC 6390 which describes a framework and a
process for developing Performance Metrics of protocols and applications
transported over IETF-specified protocols.  The scope of the document is
complementary to the scope of the IPPM WG and BMWG focusing on metrics
of protocols above and below the IP layer that can be used to
characterize performance on live networks,=20

Section 2.2 of the document recommends the formation of a specialized
directorate:=20

   The Performance Metrics Directorate is a directorate that provides
   guidance for Performance Metrics development in the IETF.

   The Performance Metrics Directorate should be composed of experts in
   the performance community, potentially selected from the IP
   Performance Metrics (IPPM), Benchmarking Methodology (BMWG), and
   Performance Metrics for Other Layers (PMOL) WGs.

Further details are available in Section 6 of RFC 6390.=20

There are already a number of volunteers to start the directorate but we
can use more expert minds. If you are interested in volunteering or
would like to hear more details please approach me or Al Morton. We can
discuss more during IETF-82 for those who will make the trip to Taipei.=20

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 13:48:29 +0200
From: "Leonidas Lymberopoulos" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [PMOL] (CFP) IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future Internet (ManFI 2012)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this CfP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future Internet  
(ManFI 2012)
==================================================================================
16 April 2012
Maui, Hawaii, USA
http://www.manfi.org

CALL FOR PAPERS
---------------
The Fourth IEEE/IFIP International Workshop on Management of the Future  
Internet (ManFI 2012) will be held in conjunction with IEEE/IFIP NOMS 2012  
in Maui, Hawaii, USA, from April 16-20, 2012. The workshop is sponsored by  
the IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) and supported by POSTECH ITCE,  
Ghent University-IBBT, NEC, and Ericsson LM. The workshop is endorsed by  
the Technical Committee on Network Operations and Management (CNOM).

It is widely agreed that, despite its many successes, the current Internet  
also has a set of systemic problems, ranging from an upcoming shortage of  
IP addresses to insufficient security. However, the lack of scalable and  
agile manageability is arguably more important, as without management, it  
is impossible to build systems that adapt the services and resources  
offered in a context-dependent manner.

In either case (clean slate vs. evolution vs. revolution) we must consider  
the manageability of the Future Internet from the beginning. Following the  
success of the three previous editions of this workshop, held in  
conjunction with IM 2009, NOMS 2010 and IM 2011, ManFI 2012 aims at  
providing an international forum for researchers in these and similar  
areas. ManFI 2012 will combine original full paper presentations with a  
motivating keynote, quick hot topic presentations and a panel discussion  
to thoroughly explore this challenging topic.

Topics of interest
------------------
Authors are invited to submit papers that fall into or are related to the  
topic areas listed below:
- Architectural Issues
    * Advantages and disadvantages of revolutionary, evolutionary, and  
other approaches to managing the Future Internet
    * Separation of data, control, and management planes
    * Design of architectural building blocks for managing the Future  
Internet
    * Advances in measurement, management, security, accounting, mobility,  
and other functions
    * Virtualization of resources and services
    * Dynamic composition of management and operational functionality
    * Mechanisms for managing interconnected computational infrastructures  
(e.g. elastic clouds, federated clouds) in the Future Internet
    * Implications of social network success on the Future Internet  
architecture
- Design and Implementation Issues
    * Abstractions for programmable network elements
    * Accommodating context-awareness in management
    * Applying  situation awareness to network management
    * Federation between administrative domains and support of all  
constituencies
    * The role of models, ontologies, and other knowledge abstractions in  
the Future Internet
    * Uncertainty and probabilistic approaches to management of the Future  
Internet
    * Approaches for the organization of management data, data analytics  
and visualization
    * Experience reports from Future Internet experimental facilities  
set-up and results
- Economic Issues
    * Economic aspects driving the deployment of Future Internet management  
technology
    * Economic opportunities and challenges for management technology
    * Experience reports from management in test beds

Paper submission
----------------
Paper submissions must present original, research or experiences.  
Late-breaking advances and work-in-progress reports from ongoing research  
are also encouraged. Only original papers that have not been published or  
submitted for publication elsewhere can be submitted. Each submission must  
be written in English, accompanied by a 75 to 200 word abstract that  
clearly outlines the scope and contributions of the paper, and a list of  
up to 5 key words. There is a length limitation of 6 pages (including  
title, abstract, all figures, tables, and references) for regular  
conference papers, and 4 pages for short papers. Submissions must be in  
IEEE 2-column style. Papers exceeding these limits, multiple submissions,  
and self-plagiarized papers will be rejected without further review.  
Authors should submit their papers in PDF, postscript, or Word formats via  
JEMS: (https://submissoes.sbc.org.br/).

Proceedings
-----------
Papers accepted for ManFI 2012 will be included in the conference  
proceedings, IEEE Xplore, and EI Index. The IEEE reserves the right to  
remove any paper from IEEE Xplore if the paper is not presented at the  
workshop. Awards will be presented to the best paper and to the best  
student paper at the workshop. Furthermore, we plan to work with a leading  
journal, such as JNSM, TNSM and IJNM, to solicit extended versions of the  
best papers of ManFI 2012 to be submitted for review.

Workshop Co-Chairs
------------------
- Prof. James Won-Ki Hong, POSTECH, Korea
- Prof. Filip De Turck, Ghent University - IBBT, Belgium
- Dr. Yoshiaki Kiriha, NEC, Japan
- Dr. Sven van der Meer, Ericsson LM, Ireland

Publicity Co-Chairs
-------------------
- Leonidas Lymberopoulos, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Cathryn Peoples, University of Ulster, UK

Important dates
---------------
- Abstract registration deadline: December 14, 2011
- Paper submission: December 20, 2011
- Notification of acceptance: January 31, 2012
- Final version of papers due: February 15, 2012
- Workshop date: April 16, 2012

For more information, please contact one of the Workshop Co-Chairs at  
[email-masked]