Subject: RE: wildcard flowid in framework PIB?

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:00:53 -0800

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>[email-masked] and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

hmm. The field is

diffServMultiFieldClfrFlowId OBJECT-TYPE
     SYNTAX         Unsigned32 (0..1048575)
     MAX-ACCESS     read-create
     STATUS         current
     DESCRIPTION
        "The flow identifier in an IPv6 header."
     ::= { diffServMultiFieldClfrEntry 8 }

It allows you to set the value compared against, which is to say "decide 
what packets to select"; nothing in the MIB permits you to change the 
packet other than the "set" action, and that sets the DSCP.

I think I intended to have a boolean (a TruthValue) that allowed you to 
wildcard it, and have it default to being wildcarded (like all the other 
fields in the MFClassifier); however, I don't see the boolean in the MIB. oops.

At 03:07 AM 1/18/2003 +0100, Wijnen, Bert (Bert) wrote:
> >
> > Correct. The FlowID is immutable (unlike the DSCP). Are you saying the
> > MIB allows setting the FlowID? If so, that's a bug.
> >
>No, I think the flowID in the MIB is settable, but it functions as
>the flowID on which one wants to filter or classify. So it is not changing
>the flowid in the protocol PDUs that pass by, but only comparing it to
>the SETable MIB value(s). And I do think that it makes sense to be
>able to have a wildcard for that, no?
>
>Bert

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:41:00 +0100

I think we had a couple of other minor bugs that someone found
in the MIB a few months back.

So, do we need to spin RFC 3289?

    Brian