Subject: [Recentattendees] IETF 100 Thursday Speaker Series Topic — 3 years on: Open Standards, Open Source, Open Loop

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 09:57:40 -0700

IETF 100, Hosted by Cisco!

More information about IETF 100 here:  https://www.ietf.org/meeting/100/

Thursday Speaker Series Topic — 3 years on: Open Standards, Open Source, Open Loop

At IETF 91, many outrageous claims were emphatically made
about the relationship between Open Standards and Open Source.
Three years later, let’s take a look at how much progress has
been made, if any; and discuss successes and failures.
Communities of developers and engineers have fully formed Open
Source efforts and are building large, effective communities
without any documented standardization as a part of their
strategy. How should SDOs interact with developers, communities
and deployers of Open Source? There are claims and perhaps proof
that Open Source now fully defines the industries "de facto
Standards." Does the process of standardization and the contents
and lifecycle of a standard need to fundamentally change?

Logistics:
	• Room: Canning
	• Date: Thursday, November 16, 2017
	• Time: 12:30 – 13:15
	• Lunch will NOT be provided. 

Speaker Biography:

Dave Ward, Senior Vice President, Chief Architect & CTO - Engineering

Dave is Chief Architect at Cisco Systems, responsible for
architectural governance, defining strategy, development of new
technology and leading use-inspired research. Working via tight
partnerships with customers, partners, developers and academia he
is also leading co-development and co-innovation initiatives. He
has been the Routing Area Director at the IETF and chair of four
Working Groups: IS-IS, HIP, BFD and Softwires and worked with the
ITU-T, ONF and several Open Source consortia. David was also a
Juniper Fellow and Chief Architect working on the operating
system and next-generation routing systems. Dave has a small
vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains and an heirloom tomato farm
along the St. Croix River in Somerset, Wisconsin.