Subject: Fwd: L1VPN drafts

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:52:03 -0800

Directorate people-

 I'll be cc'ing rtg-dir on my discussion with Adrian, Takeda, et al on L1VPNs.
 Opinions are appreciated please feel free to chime in. Attached are e-mails
 listing the reading material.
 
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

Subject: L1VPN drafts
From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: "Bill Fenner" <[email-masked]>, "'Kireeti Kompella'" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:24:33 -0000

Alex,
Here's your reading :-)

Framework
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-03.txt
This is really well cooked.
Apart from editorial, the authors think there is nothing else to do.

Applicability (of protocols to meeting the framework)
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-02.txt
This needs another pass by the authors to fill in some blanks. But it is
pretty well advanced.

Specific solution
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ouldbrahim-ppvpn-gvpn-bgpgmpls-06.txt
This draft has been around for the longest time.
Conceptually it is done.
I believe there is an implementation

Second protocol solution model
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-overlay-05.txt
The "GMPLS UNI" draft specifically mentions L1VPNs and solves some of the
models.
For other models it might need some extensions.
This draft is "pending announcement"

Questions?
Adrian

Subject: L1VPN related I-Ds
From: Tomonori TAKEDA <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:29:16 +0900

Hi Alex,

I am Tomonori Takeda of NTT, who has been participating in IETF (especially 
CCAMP) for a while. Thank you very much for discussing with me L1VPN 
related topics several times.

As you may know, I was a contributor to the ITU-T recommendations on 
L1VPNs, but I thought it would be best if the protocol extensions were done 
within the IETF, so I worked to present the requirements and architecture 
as Internet-Drafts. I am currently the editor of the framework draft and 
the applicability analysis draft that explains how existing protocols can 
be used to provide L1VPNs.

I would appreciate your kind offer to read those L1VPN related I-Ds, as you 
mentioned in the previous IETF meeting. I am wondering it might be helpful 
to contact you now so that the I-Ds are cleardy understood. I would be more 
than happy to discuss any issue, and/or provide any clarification.

Two I-Ds are as follows.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-03.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-02.txt

Best regards,

-----
Tomonori TAKEDA
NTT Network Service Systems Lab.
Phone: +81-422-59-7434