Subject: Updated SDH/SONET GMPLS Control Framework: draft-ietf-ccamp-sdhsonet-control-03.txt

From: "Vishal Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:05:23 -0700

Hello IETF draft submissions manager, 

Please find attached an updated version of the CCAMP WG
draft titled "A Framework for GMPLS-based Control of SDH/SONET Networks,"
which has been revised in accordance with the latest feedback received
from the Routing Area Directorate.

Please note that the draft has also been updated to confirm to the
latest format guidelines for IETF drafts.

If you have any problems posting this, please let me know.

Many thanks,
-Vishal

****************************************************************
Vishal Sharma, Ph.D.
Metanoia, Inc. (Critical Systems Thinking)
888 Villa Street, Suite 200B, Mountain View, CA 94041-1261
Phone: +1 408-530-8313. Voice: +1 408-394-6321 
Email: [email-masked]. http://www.metanoia-inc.com
**************************************************************** 

Title: Framework for GMPLS-based Control of SDH/SONET Networks 

Abstract:
   The suite of protocols that defines Multi-Protocol Label Switching 
   (MPLS) is in the process of enhancement to generalize its 
   applicability to the control of non-packet based switching, that is, 
   optical switching.  One area of prime consideration is to use these 
   generalized MPLS (GMPLS) protocols in upgrading the control plane of 
   optical transport networks.  This document illustrates this process 
   by describing those extensions to MPLS protocols that are directed 
   towards controlling SDH/SONET networks.  SDH/SONET networks make 
   very good examples of this process since they possess a rich 
   multiplex structure, a variety of protection/restoration options, 
   are well defined, and are widely deployed. The document discusses 
   extensions to MPLS routing protocols to disseminate information 
   needed in transport path computation and network operations, 
   together with the extensions to MPLS label distribution protocols 
   needed for the provisioning of transport circuits. New capabilities 
   that an MPLS control plane would bring to SDH/SONET networks, such 
   as new restoration methods and multi-layer circuit establishment, 
   are also discussed.  

Pages: 30