Subject: L1VPN charter: rev 02

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 12:12:23 -0700

This is the version I'm hoping to put on the next IESG telechat agenda
(next week). Please speak up by Fri, May 20, for changes. Only major issues
after Wed, please--I'm putting it on the agenda then.

// yeah, we're still working on the WG chairs part...

--
Alex

Layer 1 Virtual Private Networks (l1vpn)

Last Modified: 2005-05-16
Chair(s):
 TBD
 TBD

Routing Area Director(s):
 Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
 Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>

Technical Advisor(s):
 TBD

Mailing Lists:
 General Discussion: [email-masked]
 To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l1vpn
 Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l1vpn/index.html

Description of Working Group:

 The L1VPN Working Group's task is to specify mechanisms necessary for
 providing a VPN service over a GMPLS-enabled transport service-provider
 network.

 The following two service models will be addressed:

  1. Basic mode: the CE-PE interface's functional repertoire is limited to
     path setup signalling only. Provider's network is not involved in
     distribution of user's routing information.

  2. Enhanced mode: the CE-PE interface provides the signaling capabilities
     as in the Basic mode, plus permits limited exchange of information
     between the control planes of the provider and the user to help such
     functions as discovery of reachability information in remote sites,
     or parameters of the part of the provider's network dedicated to
     the user.

 The WG will work on the following items:

  1. Framework document defining the reference network model, L1VPN service
     model, fundamental assumptions, and terminology.

  2. Specification of the L1VPN signaling functionality between the user
     and the provider network to support the basic mode.

  3. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the basic mode.

  4. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the basic
     mode.

  5. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality between
     the user and the provider network to support the extended mode.

  6. Specification of the L1VPN signaling and routing functionality within
     the provider network to support the extended mode.

  7. OAM features and MIB modules and/or extensions required for the
     extended mode.

  8. Applicability guidelines to compare the basic and extended modes.

 At this point the WG will address the single-AS scenario only. The
 multi-AS/provider scenario may be considered in future.

 Protocol extensions required for L1VPN will be done in cooperation with
 MPLS, CCAMP, OSPF, IS-IS, IDR, L3VPN, and other WGs where necessary. Where
 necessary, the WG shall also cooperate with ITU-T through the established
 IETF process.

Milestones:

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Draft of L1VPN framework

  Sep 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of basic mode specifications

  Dec 05 Submit first Internet Drafts of MIB modules for basic mode

  Apr 06 Submit basic mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Jun 06 Submit first Internet Drafts of enhanced mode specifications

  Aug 06 Submit MIB modules for basic mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit enhanced mode specifications to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 06 Submit L1VPN framework to IESG for publication as Informational RFC

  Aug 07 Submit MIB modules for enhanced mode to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

  Dec 07 Recharter or disband

Related Documents:

 draft-takeda-l1vpn-framework-03.txt
 draft-takeda-l1vpn-applicability-02.txt
 draft-ouldbrahim-ppvpn-gvpn-bgpgmpls-06.txt
 draft-ietf-ccamp-gmpls-overlay-05.txt