Subject: comments on drafts

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:56:10 -0800

Guys-

 Jeff P just asked me a question interesting for all doing a review--
 what type of comments the directorate should be bringing and how
 we should proceed with them.

 Type of comments:
 
  Keep in mind that the documents have passed the WG LC, so there
  supposed to be a WG consensus on them. On the other hand the review
  should be useful--it _is_ possible for documents to come out of
  a WG with bugs. Please also pay attention to the ID nits--the
  earlier in the process we catch them the better.

  I usually combine my comments in 3 groups:
  
    - Meta issues (something global, like whether the problem is
      valid, whether the approach is valid, you fundamentally
      disagree, etc.)
      
    - Technical (bugs, inconsistencies, questions...)
    
    - Editorial ("while you're at it" type of things: ID nits,
      grammar, format, etc.)

  I would recommend staying away from changing the wording to
  your liking unless it substantially improves readability or
  clarity of the document.

 How to proceed:

  If you feel you better discuss your comments first within the
  directorate--shoot them on the list. I recommend we do this for some
  time.

  Finally the comments should go out to the WG chairs and authors and
  on the WG mailing list. A reasonable approach is to discuss the
  comments with the chairs and authors, making clear this is a rtg-dir
  review, cc'ing this list and then let them bring those to the WG if
  changes deemed necessary. If further discussion is needed, the
  reviewer may need to engage on the WG mailing list.

 Hope this helps.

-- 
Alex