Subject: Re: New rtg.ietf.org activated

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:43:52 -0500 (EST)

It is absolutely fantastic! 

A few nits...you misspelled "resurrected".
It would be nice to have a one-page tutorial for each WG, or each protocol
within a WG. Perhaps the WG charter fulfills that.

Also, I found there were a dizzying selection of links, and it was
hard to figure out where each would lead. Perhaps fewer choices per page,
with more information for each.

But these are just nits. Routing area rocks! Soon everyone in IETF
will want to be in the routing area because our web site is so nice!

Thanks again!

Radia

	From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>

	After going home early from the IETF meeting, I had some time on my
	hands so installed a shared web content system ("phpnuke") on 
rtg.ietf.org ,
	to facilitate some of the information sharing that we talked about
	last Sunday night.
	
	I'm still working on a site overview for people (like me) not
	familiar with this style of interactive system.  There are three
	main types of content:
	
	- News.  These are things like the working group summaries I've posted,
	  perhaps announcements of working group last calls, etc.
	- "Content".  These are static pages that can be edited by WG chairs or
	  designated users.  I put one up in IDMR about IGMPv3, thinking that
	  maybe there would be a page of "Content" per document, but I'm not
	  completely sure.
	- Forums.  I have set up some forums but haven't played with them at 
all.
	
	What I'd like from you as the directorate is to play with this site a 
little
	and explore how you think it could be used for the kinds of interactions
	we'd like to facilitate.  (Or, tell me to stop wasting my time on this
	since it's not going to work).
	
	Thanks,
	  Bill

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:35:43 -0800

>with more information for each.

Yup, this is absolutely the hardest problem - this interface defaults
to be pretty complex, I've been trying to reduce the extra junk as
much as possible.  This is part of what I'm looking for help with --
trying to figure out what the right bits to keep are and which are just
complexity.

  Bill

---

From: Chris Hopps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:18:54 -0800

Very nice Bill, and thanks for all the work on this. As you noted in other
mail, the system does seem to have an overly complex interface. I wonder if
the news links couldn't be more summarized (e.g., more like on
www.netbsd.org).

Also if we could do that then perhaps below the news summary we could have
the documents in last call. Right now the LC documents are stuffed over in
the right margin and are hard to read.

Having the IETF LC documents listed in some form is a nice aide. It would be
nice to standardize how we display the documents, and then have each WG page
have its own last call list displayed in the same way.

Thanks,
Chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fenner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 3:19 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: New rtg.ietf.org activated

After going home early from the IETF meeting, I had some time on my
hands so installed a shared web content system ("phpnuke") on rtg.ietf.org ,
to facilitate some of the information sharing that we talked about
last Sunday night.

- Forums.  I have set up some forums but haven't played with them at all.

What I'd like from you as the directorate is to play with this site a little
and explore how you think it could be used for the kinds of interactions
we'd like to facilitate.  (Or, tell me to stop wasting my time on this
since it's not going to work).

Thanks,
  Bill