Subject: Your impressions from the SF meeting

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 18:17:13 -0800

Folks-

 It would be very useful if we used this mailing list to
 exchange the impressions taken away from the meetings. If
 you liked something in a WG meeting or have a concern about
 what has happened or something left you with an
 uncomfortable feeling, or you have heard something you
 think all of us should know--send it here for a discussion.

-- 
Alex

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:37:55 -0500

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 06:17:13PM -0800, Alex Zinin wrote:
>  exchange the impressions taken away from the meetings.

A general impression that I took away from most of the meetings is that
regardless of which working group I was attending, the security drum
was banging quite loudly.  rpsec will undoubtedly help the various
working groups come to a more common and sane definition of security
for their individual protocols.  The trick, I believe, is to either
convince the various WG's that they should make sure they have a foot
in rpsec and get their issues dealt with in there, or make a strong
case why their security issues are particular to their particular
group.

Another general observation is that the standardization drum was
beating loudly.  Work is being completed or tied up and strong
progress is being made towards trying to bring things towards standardization.
I would contrast this with several previous sessions of IETF that
I've attended where most of the work seems to be targeted towards
the discussion of new features.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies