Subject: RE: AD-review for draft-ietf-isis-*-interoperable

From: "Tony Li" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 00:21:05 -0800

|    >         The only security issue I saw this time was the 
|    one you pointed out:
|    > TLV 10 vs 133.
|    
|    I didn't think about this in detail, but it seems that no purging
|    invalid LSPs may have a security aspect too..

Purging invalid LSPs are a trivial way to turn your own network into
its own distributed DoS self-attack system.  

On the flip, not purging them and just ignoring them just wastes a bit
of memory.

Tony

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:42:03 -0800

Tony,

> its own distributed DoS self-attack system.  

Yes, persistent errors in the originating IS would be a valid
scenario, which, if I'm not mistaken, was observed in the wild and
lead to changes in the code. An insider attacker originating corrupted
LSPs would be another, I guess...

Alex