Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots ofLinks (trill)

From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 16:22:38 -0400

If TRILL is striving to adapt a link state protocol to a flat address
space, seems to me that within the current IETF structure, expertise
would be in the routing area.

But this seems to create confusion. Maybe I'm confused, but I don't
think TRILL is going after creating larger layer 2 nets at all, right?
Just attempting to do something more clever than a spanning tree for the
layer 2 catenet. So I don't think that lack of market success of NHRP or
MPOA, from the old ION wg, where two fair dinkum *routing* protocols
were being meshed together, applies here. Isn't the scope of TRILL far
smaller? I hope so.

We need a "bridging" area in the IETF, then, and perhaps work on things
like IGMP snooping can go in there as well. This might help alleviate
some of the concerns I've seen aired. We need a home for "this is really
supposed to be IEEE work, but they don't want to do it or they need
help."

Bert

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:16 PM
> To: Susan Hares; Adrian Farrel; Brian E Carpenter
> Cc: Alex Zinin; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; 
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Fwd: Re: WG Review: Transparent Interconnection 
> of Lots ofLinks (trill)
> 
> 
> Hi Sue,
> 
> The TRILL WG would not be chartered to develop a link-state routing 
> protocol.  They would be chartered to make use of an existing 
> link-state routing protocol, and any extensions or modifications to 
> that protocol would be referred to the appropriate routing area WG.
> 
> The TRILL WG would  determine the mechanisms for encapsulating and 
> forwarding Ethernet frames and for auto-configuring the rbridges.  I 
> am not sure that in-depth expertise in link-state routing protocols 
> is needed for that.  Instead, you need expertise in encapsulation, 
> forwarding and configuration, which are all Internet area topics.
> 
> Margaret