Subject: O&M section in RTG documents?

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:02:28 -0700

Folks-

 Two people--Loa and Adrian--have recently mentioned the idea of requiring a
 mandatory "Operations and Management Considerations" section in the routing
 area documents. Such section would explain management considerations, such as
 required changes to MIBs, as well as expected operational impact and required
 techniques/actions/additional protocols.

 Opinions appreciated.
 
-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:43:03 -0500

Sounds like a good idea to me.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Alex Zinin [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 11:02 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: O&M section in RTG documents?
> 
> 
> Folks-
>

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:56:19 -0400

Good pont Kireeti!

Sue

-----Original Message-----
From: Kireeti Kompella [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 6:53 PM
To: Alex Zinin
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: O&M section in RTG documents?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Susan Hares wrote:

> I think this is a good idea.

I'm generally in favor, but I will reserve judgment until I see a
"Guidelines for Writing an O&M Considerations Section" to assess the
value of this, and the burden it imposes.

If this goes forward, such a guideline is a MUST.  You can't have a
mandatory section and not have guidelines -- let's not repeat what
happened with Security Considerations: "This document does not
introduce any new security concerns."

The other thing is, for non-routing documents, an O&M section may
still be a good idea.  So, while this might be out of scope for the
rtg-dir, an optional O&M section for other docs should be vetted
IETF-wide.

Kireeti.
-------