Subject: Under IESG review: draft-ietf-nsis-fw-05.txt

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:52:31 -0800

This document was on the agenda this morning and will come back in two
weeks. I have comments on scalability and routing-related issues that
I will forward here today.

More review welcome. Send comments by Jan 29th, please.

Title: Next Steps in Signaling: Framework

Abstract:

   The Next Steps in Signaling working group is considering protocols
   for signaling information about a data flow along its path in the 
   network. Based on existing work on signaling requirements, this 
   document proposes an architectural framework for such signaling 
   protocols. 
    
   This document provides a model for the network entities that take 
   part in such signaling, and the relationship between signaling and 
   the rest of network operation. We decompose the overall signaling 
   protocol suite into a generic (lower) layer, with a separate upper 
 
   layers for each specific signaling application. An initial proposal
   for the split between these layers is given, describing the overall 
   functionality of the lower layer, and discussing the ways that upper 
   layer behavior can be adapted to specific signaling application 
   requirements. 
    
   This framework also considers the general interactions between 
   signaling and other network layer functions, specifically routing, 
   mobility, and address translators. The different events that impact 
   signaling operation are described, along with how their handling 
   should be divided between the generic and application-specific 
   layers. Finally, an example signaling application (for Quality of 
   Service) is described in more detail. 

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:43:11 -0800

and here's the url to it.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nsis-fw-05.txt

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:38:35 -0800

Alex,

	What category they are asking for (the document doesn't
	say)? 

	Thanks,
	
	Dave

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:16:55 -0800

Dave, it's INFO.