Subject: IESG soliciting comments on use of BGP for VPN

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:28:45 -0700

Folks-

 The PPVPN WG has two WG documents that propose using BGP for VPN
 purposes:

  draft-ietf-ppvpn-bgpvpn-auto-05.txt
    describing how BGP can be used to disseminate VPN membership
    information

  draft-kompella-ppvpn-vpls-02.txt
    extending the above mechanism to also perform signaling for
    Virtual Private LAN Service (VPLS)

 The IESG is currently considering the following questions which
 we would like to solicit comments on:

  1. What is the line between appropriate and inappropriate use
     of routing protocols in general, and BGP in particular.

  2. Whether the specific approaches described in the documents
     above represent an appropriate use of BGP.

  3. If the answer to question 2 above is negative, what alternative
     mechanisms could be used.

 Please send your comments on the questions above by June 12th (two
 weeks from today.)

 Thanks.

--
Alex Zinin

---

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 13:54:40 -0700

So, this is a more official version of the request for the same type
of discussion. Same message has been sent to the ops-dir and IAB.
Essentially this means that I will bring a summary of the discussion
on this list back to the IESG (checking here first, of course) as
the rtg-dir position.

-- 
Alex
http://www.psg.com/~zinin/