Subject: Directorate charter

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:33:26 -0800

Folks-

 Please find below the first rev of the directorate charter.
 We'd like to post it on the area's web site to clarify the
 functions it performs. Comments welcome.

-- 
Alex

The notion of a directorate is defined in RFC 2418 as follows:

    In many areas, the Area Directors have formed an advisory group or
    directorate. These comprise experienced members of the IETF and
    the technical community represented by the area. The specific name
    and the details of the role for each group differ from area to
    area, but the primary intent is that these groups assist the Area
    Director(s), e.g., with the review of specifications produced in
    the area.

The Routing Area Directorate is an advisory group of routing experts
selected by the Area Directors. The Directorate is not just a group of
all WG chairs in the Routing area--many directorate members do not
have enough time or desire to lead a WG, yet participate in the
Directorate because of their deep expertise in Internet routing. The
Area Directors use the feedback from the Directorate while making
decisions on a range of topics related to the IETF Routing area.
Specifically, the Directorate is involved in the following activities:

 1. Review of the documents submitted to the IESG from the WGs within
    the Routing area. To minimize the additional delay, the WG chairs
    are encouraged to forward the WG Last Call announcements to the
    Directorate so that the directorate review happens during the Last
    Call. Otherwise, the directorate review will happen as part of
    the AD-review process.

 2. Technical advisory function. Members of the Directorate may be asked
    to provide consultation to or (more formally) serve as Technical
    Advisors in WGs within the Routing area, as well as other areas.

 3. Review of new WG and existing WG rechartering proposals.
    When deemed necessary, the ADs will consult the Directorate
    regarding the proposals for creation of a new WG, or when an
    existing WG is being rechartered.

 4. Review of documents under IESG review. When deemed necessary,
    the ADs will consult the Directorate while forming their opinion
    on the documents being reviewed within the IESG.

The Routing Area Directorate can be reached at [email-masked].
The Directorate currently includes the following advisors:

    Acee Lindem ([email-masked])
    Alvaro Retana ([email-masked])
    Chris Hopps ([email-masked])
    Dave Meyer ([email-masked])
    Jeff Haas ([email-masked])
    Jeff Parker ([email-masked])
    Mark Handley ([email-masked])
    Mike Shand ([email-masked])
    Tony Przygienda ([email-masked])
    Radia Perlman ([email-masked])
    Rohit Dube ([email-masked])
    Ross Callon ([email-masked])
    Russ White ([email-masked])
    Sue Hares ([email-masked])