Subject: [RTG-DIR] draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-07

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 09:12:27 -0500

Summary: 

This document is basically ready for publication, but has nits that should
be considered prior to publication.

Comments:

Please supply an overview of the draft quality and readability.

Include anything else that you think will be helpful toward understanding
your review.

Major Issues:

No major issues found.

Minor Issues:

No minor issues found.

Nits:

Not much, just some possible suggestions that might (or might not) make the
draft more readable below.

==

1.  Introduction

==

   Routers that form the internet routing infrastructure maintain state

   at various layers of detail and function.  For example, a typical

   router maintains a Routing Information Base (RIB), and implements

   routing protocols such as OSPF, ISIS, and BGP to exchange protocol

   state and other information about the state of the network with other

   routers.

Russ's comments 

   This is a bit of a quibble, but... While routing protocols do exchange
"protocol 

   state and other information about the state of the network," The primary
point of routing 

   protocols is to exchange reachability and topology information -- which
seems to be included

   in the "other information" category here. Just seems strange to put the
primary reason behind

   the protocols into the "other information" category. :-)

replacement text: 

   Routers that form the internet routing infrastructure maintain state

   at various layers of detail and function.  For example, a typical

   router maintains a Routing Information Base (RIB), and implements

   routing protocols such as OSPF, ISIS, and BGP to exchange

  reachability and topology information, protocol state, and 

   and other information about the state of the network with other

   routers.

==

5.  Network Applications and I2RS Client

   In the simplest architecture, a network-oriented application has an

   I2RS client as a library or driver for communication with routing

   elements.

   It just feels a little odd to have one named interaction type, and two
unnamed 

   ones (?). I'm going to suggest ideas here, though it's not a crucial
point either way,

   since these aren't referred to anyplace else.

   Perhaps the "direct access architecture."

Replacement text: 

   In the simplest  architecture of direct access, a network-oriented
application has an 

  I2RS client as a library or driver for communication with routing

   elements.

Reason:  I agree regarding the imbalance, but felt the emphasis on the 

==

   In a third architecture, a routing element or network-oriented

   application that uses an I2RS Client to access services on a

   different routing element may also contain an I2RS agent to provide

   services to other network-oriented applications.  However, where the

   needed information and data models for those services differs from

   that of a conventional routing element, those models are, at least

   Perhaps the "third party architecture," or some such.

Issue: 

Third party - brings us into a lot of discussion about what is third party.

Can you suggest something else here. 

Thank you, 

Sue Hares

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 09:20:31 -0500

Russ: 

I'm sorry -  I hit the send key too soon.  (smile) Thank you for the careful
review.   I have suggest replacement text below for each of the minor
changes.  However,  I'm stuck on the third comment.  If you have any other
suggestions on what would be appropriate - please suggest text. 

Sue Hares 

From: rtg-dir [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Susan Hares
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 9:12 AM
To: 'Russ White'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [RTG-DIR] draft-ietf-i2rs-architecture-07

Summary: 

Comments:

Major Issues:

No major issues found.

Minor Issues:

No minor issues found.

Nits:

==

1.  Introduction

==

   routers.

Russ's comments 

Sue's replacement text: 

   routers.

==

   elements.

Replacement text: 

   elements.

==

Issue: 

 

Thank you, 

Sue Hares