Subject: Re: [RTG-DIR] Routing directorate QA review of draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 09:06:33 +0200

Hi,

I have been asked to provide a review to the following document to the 
routing directorate mailing list.

Please be aware that this is the first time I work with YANG and related 
drafts.

Document: draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-02

Reviewer: Henning Rogge
Review Date: Mai 16th, 2016

Intended Status: Standards Track

The data structure suggested by the draft is reasonable and would fit 
most Layer2 network technologies. I have a couple of points on the draft 
document which might be worth looking into:

* The introduction in 
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-i2rs-yang-l2-network-topology-02 
includes a link to "I-D.ietf-netmod-rfc6020bis" that links back to the 
draft document itself. Maybe some links in the document refer to an 
older name of the draft?

* the "termination-point" element only contains the types "ethernet" and 
"legacy" (which does not contain any data like mac-address). Is this 
reasonable or should a few data elements moved from the "ethernet" 
category to the "l2-termination-point-attributes" category?

* there are different types of VLAN tags be used... should there be 
another field ("vlan-type" ?) to announce 802.1ad QinQ usage? I think 
the 802.1ad tag is also sometimes also used to move VLAN over a switch 
that doesn't support it (unknown Ethertypes are usually just ignored), 
which means just knowing the VLAN-id is not enough to reach the endpoint.

* the type of ethernet (100, 1000, 10000) or data-rate could be an 
important attribute for an ethernet termination point, not only for links.

Henning Rogge
-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Fraunhofer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de