Subject: [RTG-DIR] Review of draft-ietf-trill-over-ip-08

From: Ines Robles <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 21:23:21 -0800

Reviewer: Ines Robles
Review result: Has Nits

Hi,

QA review for "TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
over IP" I-D:

Document: draft-ietf-trill-over-ip-08.txt

Reviewer: Ines Robles

Review Date: December 28, 2016

Intended Status: Proposed Standard 

Summary:

 I believe the draft is technically good. I have some minor comments.

Comments:

	Major Issues:

		I have no “Major” issues with this I-D.

	Minor Issues and Nits:

		Section 1: Introduction

			- I would add a reference to [draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08] when
IPv6 is mentioned.

		Section 2: Terminology

			- In RBridge definition, I would add a reference to [RFC6325]

			- In VNI definition, I would extend VXLAN - "...In Virtual
eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN) [RFC7348]..."

		Section 3: Use Cases for TRILL over IP

			The text of the uses cases is clear. However, I think it would be
nice to add a graph for each use case like:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/slides/trill-13.pdf (Slide 4 and
5) 

		Section 4.5: TRILL Over IP IS-IS SubNetwork Point of Attachment

			I think it would be nice to add in the text the meaning of "111111"
depicted in the figure.

		Section 8.1: Congestion Considerations

			I would expand ECMP in the 3rd paragraph. 

		Section 9.2.3.2

			I think it would be nice to add a reference to RFC 7172 when
Inner.FGL is mentioned.

		Section 11.1: Port Assignments

			I would add the registry for this request - "Service Name and
Transport Protocol Port Number Registry"
[https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml]

Thank you very much,

Ines.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 12:43:54 -0500

Hi Ines,

Thanks for the review. See below:

>                 I have no “Major” issues with this I-D.

Thanks.

>                         - I would add a reference to [draft-ietf-6man-rfc2460bis-08] when

OK.

> eXtensible Local Area Network (VXLAN) [RFC7348]..."

OK.

> https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/82/slides/trill-13.pdf (Slide 4 and

OK. Thanks for the research to reference that presentation.

>                         I think it would be nice to add in the text the meaning of "111111"

Humm... Those are the first digits of vertically arrayed bit numbers
(10 through 15). So, since it would fit, maybe we should make those
bits one character space wider so the bit number can be horizontal
rather than vertical. I think that would be clearer.

>                         I would expand ECMP in the 3rd paragraph.

OK.

>                         I think it would be nice to add a reference to RFC 7172 when

OK.

> [https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml]

Good idea.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]