Subject: [saag] Summary of TLS WG

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:08:29 -0400

$Id$

TLS met Monday at 1520-1420 for an hour.

Don Eastlake presented RFC 4366-bis, which is the separate draft
for TLS extensions. This is mostly editorial but there are two
technical issues about certificate URL hashing. The general
consensus was (1) to mandate the hash and (2) deal with 
hash agility by defining a new code point if we need to.

Pasi Eronen presented the DES/IDEA cipher suite document, which
breaks those cipher suites out of the main TLS draft. There
was discussion about what kind of disclaimer to use and general
consensus that in future we need to put clear applicability
statements on cipher suites.

Pascal Urien presented ECDHE_PSK, a new WG item. This hasn't had 
enough review to advance yet. We commissioned two reviews.

Eric Rescorla presented plans for DTLS 1.1. The intention
is simply to rev the version to align with TLS 1.2 and fix
ambiguities in the original spec. There was substantial
support for adopting this as a WG item--needs to be
confirmed on list.

Kato Akihiro presented Camellia cipher suites with SHA-256.
Camellia is already in TLS, but with SHA-1. 

-Ekr

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:26:30 -0400

At Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:24:59 -0700,
Lakshminath Dondeti wrote:
> 
> 
> 
> On 3/12/2008 6:08 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > $Id$
> > 
> Ekr,
> I know you speak fast, but didn't realize it was fast enough for time 
> travel.
> 
> This is a great achievement!  I was there at the meeting, but failed to 
> notice clocks turning back in time.  I was not wearing a watch at that 
> time; perhaps that was why.

Well, it's a Schrodinger's cat thing. If you had been looking
at your watch, then it wouldn't have happened.

-Ekr

---

From: Lakshminath Dondeti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 06:24:59 -0700

Ekr,

:)

regards,
Lakshminath