Subject: [saag] IETF71 SASL WG summary

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:28:42 -0400

Simple Authentication And Security Layer (SASL)
IETF71, Philadelphia, PA

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 13:00-15:00
======================================

Chairs:

Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>

====================

Thanks to Cyrus Daboo for scribing.

IESG discussion on recharter proposal results in a desire to have
additional details on the requirements for the DIGEST-MD5 successor.
Some text was proposed on mailing list; we will work on a shorter
summary for the actual charter text and send the longer version for
additional explanation to the IESG if needed.

Block digest-to-historic behind SCRAM?  Various strategies proposed,
including putting a normative reference to SCRAM.  We decide that we
will ask Pasi what works best for him in terms of document workflow.
Tangential discussion about moving http-digest to historic; conclude
that the question is not for this working group to decide.

Is SCRAM what we have consensus on for the DIGEST-MD5 successor?
Eventually Simon Josefsson, Chris Newman, and Alexey Melnikov agree to
merge Simon's doc with SCRAM.  They will also produce a comparison of
Simon's doc and SCRAM.

Block GS2 behind SCRAM?  Simon wants to wait until it's in rfc editor
queue.  Alexey would rather at least one additional GS2 mech prior to
implementing GS2.  We want to avoid yet another previously-general
mechanism family that only supports GSS-API/Kerberos.  Postpone
decision until IETF72 (Dublin).

Frank Ellerman made a WGLC comment on digest-to-historic, detailing
the http-digest incompatibility with DIGEST-MD5.  Alexey will respond
to Frank's comment re digest-to-historic by the end of the week.

Kurt to coordinate interop testing in dublin

ACTION ITEMS:

Alexey will respond to Frank's comment on digest-to-historic by the
end of the week.

Simon, Alexey, Chris will produce a merged document for DIGEST-MD5
successor by May 1st, including a comparison of Simon's mech and
SCRAM.