Subject: [saag] IETF73 SASL WG summary

From: Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:00:09 -0500

Simple Authentication And Security Layer (SASL)
IETF73, Minneapolis, MN

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 at 1520-1720
=======================================

Chairs:

Tom Yu <[email-masked]>
Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>

====================

Alexey Melnikov talks about SCRAM, describing resolved issues.
Discussion about modified GS2 framing for easier (non-GSS)
implementation of SCRAM.  Sam Hartman previously gave three possible
alternatives.  Several opinions that option 3 is best; no objections.
Suggestion to prepare examples of GS2+krb5 and GS2+SCRAM to help
readers understand the encoding.

Kurt has submitted an I-D (this morning!) proposing moving CRAM-MD5 to
Historic status, and updating its IANA registry entry to "OBSOLETE".
The intent is to abandon current WG document draft-ietf-sasl-crammd5.
Strong opinions that Kurt's document be held from publication until
SCRAM is published; no objections.  General agreement that the IANA
registry entry for "usage" should remain "LIMITED" and contain
references to both 2195 and Kurt's document.

Kurt talks about 4422bis.  Some discussion about normative downrefs.

Action items:

* Tom - WGLC Kurt's CRAM-MD5-to-historic document
* Alexey, Sam, et al. - update docs for GS2 encoding (and SCRAM)
* implementors - help write GS2 encoding examples

Milestones:

Nov 08 - Initial RFC4422 impl. report
Nov 08 - Reach consensus on CRAM-MD5 successor approach (and update
       	 milestones accordingly)
Dec 08 - WGLC RFC4422bis and implementation report I-D
Jan 09 - WGLC DIGEST-MD5 replacement I-D
Jan 09 - WGLC GS2 I-D
_______________________________________________
saag mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag