Subject: [saag] NIST requests public comments on revision of FIPS 186-3 (DSS)

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:44:14 -0600

Folks,

I though that SAAG and CFRG members might be interested in the  
following announcement:

> As stated in the November 12, 2008 Federal Register Notice, NIST  
> requests final comments on draft FIPS 186-3, the proposed revision  
> of FIPS 186-2, the Digital Signature Standard. The draft defines  
> methods for digital signature generation that can be used for the  
> protection of messages, and for the verification and validation of  
> those digital signatures using DSA, RSA and ECDSA. Please submit  
> comments to [email-masked] with "Comments on Draft 186-3" in the  
> subject line. The comment period closes on December 19, 2008.
>

Most significantly, this document (if approved) will provide a  
standard reference for the Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA) with  
larger key sizes.  FIPS 186-2 limited DSA keys to 1024 bits.

The Federal Register Notice is available at

      http://csrc.nist.gov/fedreg/ 
FRN_Nov12-2008_Vol73No219_FIPS186-3.pdf

and the draft FIPS is available at

      http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/drafts/fips_186-3/ 
Draft_FIPS-186-3%20_November2008.pdf

Any comments would be appreciated. Note the deadline of December 19,  
2008.  NIST hopes to resolve all public comments expeditiously, so  
this should be considered a hard deadline.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

_______________________________________________
saag mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/saag

---

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 18:55:52 -0600

Folks,

I just realized the website I was quoting from was *wrong*.  The  
deadline for comments specified in the Federal Register Notice is  
December 12, 2008 rather than the 19th.  That is the normative  
reference, and it is still a hard deadline.

I have emailed the NIST webmaster to get things fixed ASAP.  My  
apologies for any confusion.

My apologies.

Thanks,

Tim Polk

On Nov 19, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Tim Polk wrote:

> Any comments would be appreciated. Note the deadline of December  
> 19, 2008.  NIST hopes to resolve all public comments expeditiously,  
> so this should be considered a hard deadline.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim Polk
>
>
>
>
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:08:41 -0600

At 6:44 PM -0600 11/19/08, Tim Polk wrote:
>Most significantly, this document (if approved) will provide a standard reference for the Digital Signature Algorithm (DSA) with larger key sizes.  FIPS 186-2 limited DSA keys to 1024 bits.

Some might disagree with "most significantly". In addition to what you said, Draft FIPS 186-3 also has added two new formats for RSA signatures. Those should probably be reviewed more heavily in our community than the obvious change above.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Tim Polk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:17:13 -0600

Paul,

Thanks for the reminder.  I was thinking of 2048 bit DSA as  
particularly significant since it is blocking progression of some  
security area documents.  Thinking short term, I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Tim

On Nov 20, 2008, at 8:08 AM, Paul Hoffman wrote:

> Some might disagree with "most significantly". In addition to what  
> you said, Draft FIPS 186-3 also has added two new formats for RSA  
> signatures. Those should probably be reviewed more heavily in our  
> community than the obvious change above.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director
> --VPN Consortium