Subject: [saag] How the cipher negotiation in snmpv3 will happen?

From: Sarat G <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 19:36:37 +0530

Hi,
I'm working on snmpv3. In the RFC and internet I haven't seen any
documentation regarding how the encryption and hashing algorithms exchanged
between the entities. I wonder will there be any cipher negotiation happens
in SNMPv3 or both parties should agree upon a specific set of algorithms
prior to the communication and use them?
Please apologize and discard if this is not right platform to post this
question.
Thank you.
Regards,
Sarat G

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 16:23:39 +0200

> Please apologize and discard if this is not right platform to post this

The SNMPv3 security algorithms are pre-configured and not negotiated,
except when you use SNMP over TLS or SNMP over SSH.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>