Subject: Re: [saag] NIST requests comments on using ISO/IEC 19790:2012 as the U.S. Federal Standard for cryptographic modules

From: Jeffrey Walton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 11:56:28 -0400

> As an FYI, those of you who are interested in cryptographic
> module APIs would probably be interested in this. [1] (partly
> copied below.)
>
> I'm told the ISO spec is behind a paywall, but haven't gone
> to look and see if there's a version freely available, so
> it's hard to know what kind of change this might represent.
> If someone has more info on that it might be useful to
> share that here.
>
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I just came across an example that
might help with some concerns:
http://luca-giuzzi.unibs.it/corsi/Support/papers-cryptography/1619-2007-NIST-Submission.pdf.

It appears the IEEE prepared the document to avoid the Paywall
problems like the ISO/IEC suffers (or more correctly, users suffer).

The document used to be available at
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1619tmp/1619-2007-NIST-Submission.pdf,
but it appears the IEEE webmaster broke the links. Luckily its still
available in Italy.

Jeff