Subject: [SAM] RFC 7046 on A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:37:58 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7046

        Title:      A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast 
        Author:     M. Waehlisch, T. Schmidt,
                    S. Venaas
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IRTF
        Date:       December 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      41
        Characters: 85861
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-irtf-samrg-common-api-11.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7046.txt

Group communication services exist in a large variety of flavors and
technical implementations at different protocol layers.  Multicast
data distribution is most efficiently performed on the lowest
available layer, but a heterogeneous deployment status of multicast
technologies throughout the Internet requires an adaptive service
binding at runtime.  Today, it is difficult to write an application
that runs everywhere and at the same time makes use of the most
efficient multicast service available in the network.  Facing
robustness requirements, developers are frequently forced to use a
stable upper-layer protocol provided by the application itself.  This
document describes a common multicast API that is suitable for
transparent communication in underlay and overlay and that grants
access to the different flavors of multicast.  It proposes an
abstract naming scheme that uses multicast URIs, and it discusses
mapping mechanisms between different namespaces and distribution
technologies.  Additionally, this document describes the application
of this API for building gateways that interconnect current Multicast
Domains throughout the Internet.  It reports on an implementation of
the programming Interface, including service middleware.  This
document is a product of the Scalable Adaptive Multicast (SAM)
Research Group.

This document is a product of the Scalable Adaptive Multicast Research Group of the IRTF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
  http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 01:21:09 +0100

Dear all,

the RFC editor has published the last document of our group today. This 
means that we close the research group formally, as it had persisted for 
clearing the publication pipeline over the last months.

Since the work in the area of hybrid adaptive multicast proceeds, we 
will keep the mailing list open. Please feel welcome to exchange ideas 
and announce new developments in this forum.

Thanks to all for the productive time!

Thomas

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SAM] RFC 7046 on A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:37:58 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

         RFC 7046

This document is a product of the Scalable Adaptive Multicast Research 
Group of the IRTF.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce, rfc-dist and 
IRTF-Announce lists.To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
   http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
   http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist
   http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/irtf-announce

For searching the RFC series, see 
http://www.rfc-editor.org/search/rfc_search.php
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

The RFC Editor Team

_______________________________________________
SAM mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/sam

---

From: "Eggert, Lars" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 10:43:31 +0000

Hi,

> Thanks to all for the productive time!

and thank you, Thomas and John, for chairing the group!

I will now instruct the secretariat to close the group and the mailing list. The IRTF website will also be updated.

Lars

---

From: "Buford, John F (John)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:23:26 +0000

According to Lar's note, the list will not remain open and will be shut shortly.

In any case, thanks to the many who participated in SAM RG over the years.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: SAM [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Thomas C. Schmidt
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:21 PM
To: sam
Subject: [SAM] Last document finished

Dear all,

the RFC editor has published the last document of our group today. This means that we close the research group formally, as it had persisted for clearing the publication pipeline over the last months.

Since the work in the area of hybrid adaptive multicast proceeds, we will keep the mailing list open. Please feel welcome to exchange ideas and announce new developments in this forum.

Thomas

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [SAM] RFC 7046 on A Common API for Transparent Hybrid Multicast
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 15:37:58 -0800 (PST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

         RFC 7046

Group communication services exist in a large variety of flavors and technical implementations at different protocol layers.  Multicast data distribution is most efficiently performed on the lowest available layer, but a heterogeneous deployment status of multicast technologies throughout the Internet requires an adaptive service binding at runtime.  Today, it is difficult to write an application that runs everywhere and at the same time makes use of the most efficient multicast service available in the network.  Facing robustness requirements, developers are frequently forced to use a stable upper-layer protocol provided by the application itself.  This document describes a common multicast API that is suitable for transparent communication in underlay and overlay and that grants access to the different flavors of multicast.  It proposes an abstract naming scheme that uses multicast URIs, and it discusses mapping mechanisms between different namespaces and distribution technologies.  Additionally, this document describes the application of this API for building gateways that interconnect current Multicast Domains throughout the Internet.  It reports on an implementation of the programming Interface, including service middleware.  This document is a product of the Scalable Adaptive Multicast (SAM) Research Group.

The RFC Editor Team