Subject: [scim] a few questions about the proposed charter

From: prateek mishra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:04:08 -0500

Greetings!

I am try to understand both the scope and methodology proposed for this 
effort. I did read a proposed charter at

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/scim/current/msg00003.html

(1) The charter references the "SCIM 1.0 Specification", which I couldnt 
track down. Where has this specification been
developed (perhaps within some standards body?) and in what sense is it 
a specification? Perhaps this is a reference to a draft documents meant 
as input to this group?
Anyway, it is likely that I am missing the point completely, but I would 
appreciate any clarification available.

(2) What does it mean to say that "the group will work to adapt the SCIM 
1.0 specification....as an IETF technology "?

(3) The phrase "Cloud Identity Management" describes an enormous 
technological landscape . It might include, for example, the issuance of 
credentials
to individuals from a cloud service provider, the use of a variety of 
authentication technologies, means by which user profiles are 
established and validated, profiling existing
standards such as SAML 2.0,  OAuth 2.0, XACML 3.0 or SPML 2.0 and so on 
and so forth. Does the working group plan to work on solutions
to all of these problems? Are there some specific problems that are 
excluded or included within the scope of this work?

Thanks in advance,
prateek

---

From: Chris Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 14:24:03 -0500

Hi Prateek,

Speaking as a collaborator on the SCIM effort I'll take a stab at your
questions...

For #1, see the documents hosted at http://www.simplecloud.info , the ones
labelled 1.0

For #2, I believe the intent is to have SCIM be a formal IETF
standard...what precisely that entails and what adjustments may be
necessary to SCIM as it is today, if any, is why the adapt part is
mentioned.

For #3, you are right, it is a big landscape.
The SCIM contributors are going through the effort of profiling some
technologies you mention.
Schema mappings are of particular interest and the prominent ones are LDAP
objectclasses and SAML.
I'm involved with the SCIM->LDAP and SCIM-> SAML schema mappings as they
are very relevant to me and my role and organization.

Determining what is in and out of scope is hard, but I lean toward
answering your question with another one:
 'What makes sense and is meaningful and relevant?'

I think people will find the SCIM user scenarios[1] have a lot of coverage
and utility in the profiling exercise.
SCIM evolved with these user scenarios in mind so if you assess how much
overlap on the scenarios one has, you will get an idea of how much
coverage SCIM has in a given area.

As SCIM matures and more comparison and contrasts against other techniques
happen I think people will appreciate the 'less is more' approach that
SCIM tries to embody.

Chris...
___________________________________________________________________________
___
Chris Phillips | Technical Architect, CANARIE Inc.|
[email-masked] | W: 613.449.6715

[1] http://www.simplecloud.info/specs/draft-scim-scenarios-04.html

On 12-02-28 12:04 PM, "prateek mishra" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>scim mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/scim