Subject: [scim] #28: Clarify the spec on multi-tenancy

From: Hasini Gunasinghe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:03:45 +0530

Hi all,

As the description of ticket
#28<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/scim/trac/ticket/28>suggests, we
will mention that the spec doesn't address multi-tenancy, but
will provide some pointers/guidance/recommendation.

I would like to start the discussion on what are the things we intend to
mention and to which extent wrt pointers/guidance/recommendation that would
go under the topic 'multi-tenancy'.

To start with, IMO, things to be considered are basically:

- Identifying the tenant pertaining to a particular SCIM request.
(If a common endpoint is exposed for all tenants, identification can be
done at the authentication of the SCIM request by requiring the initiator
of the request to provide the fully qualified name)

- Identifying the user-storage space of the particular tenant to which the
SCIM request belongs, and performing the SCIM operation in that space.

- Allowing to register the details of tenant-specific SCIM Service
Providers at the consumer side, if the SCIM consumer is multi-tenanted.

Any other aspects that we can consider? or anything from above that we do
not need to consider?
And to which extent we intend to specify them in the spec?

Appreciate feedback and I would like to take the WG ideas into
consideration and compose the text that goes under the topic multitenancy.

Thanks,
Hasini.