Subject: [sipcore] clarification needed : GRUU - Contact mapping - RFC 5627 (GRUU)

From: "Nataraju A.B" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 00:12:39 +0530

Hi All,

AFAIU, the GRUU is always associated with a specific UA instance (only
one). But the following text from RFC5627 seems to convey single GRUU
can be mapped on to more than one contact/UA instance.

Following is the excerpt from RFC5627.

<5627>

3.4.  Dereferencing a GRUU

   Because a GRUU is simply a URI, a UA dereferences it in exactly the
   same way as it would any other URI.  However, once the request has
   been routed to the appropriate proxy, the behavior is slightly
   different.  The proxy will map the GRUU to the AOR and determine the
   set of contacts that the particular UA instance has registered.  The
   GRUU is then mapped to **those contacts**, and the request is routed
   towards the UA.

</5627>

I feel the text must rephrased as follows

<>
   Because a GRUU is simply a URI, a UA dereferences it in exactly the
   same way as it would any other URI.  However, once the request has
   been routed to the appropriate proxy, the behavior is slightly
   different.  The proxy will map the GRUU to the AOR and determine the
   set of contacts that are registered with the AOR. Then
   GRUU is mapped to specific contact based on matching instance id
   (+sip.instance), and then request is routed towards the specific UA.
</>

I appreciate your opinion on the same issue.

Thanks,
Nataraju A.B.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 14:47:12 -0400

On 4/5/12 2:42 PM, Nataraju A.B wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>
> AFAIU, the GRUU is always associated with a specific UA instance (only one). But the following text from RFC5627 seems to convey single GRUU can be mapped on to more than one contact/UA instance.

The text below covers that case where a particular UA is fault tolerant 
and replicated or has multiple interfaces.  (Such as spelled out in 
outbound - RFC5626.

	Thanks,
	Paul

>     different.The proxy will map the GRUU to the AOR and determine the
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore