Subject: [sipcore] Types of Call

From: salini singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 21:14:04 +0530

Hi,

How do we distinguish URGENT,NON_URGENT,NORMAL,EMERGENCY calls in our
day to day practical/real-life?

Regards
-salini

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 12:17:50 -0400

salini,

I'm not certain of the context in which you are asking this question.
In general I think such things are better discussed on 
[email-masked]. So if you want to have an 
extended discussion I ask you to go there. But I'll give you the short 
version of my opinion:

In practical/real-life we don't have a clear way to indicate this prior 
to answering the call. After answering, it gets handled informally 
in-band. In some cases I suppose it is inferred based on indicated 
identity of the caller.

SIP provides some mechanisms for this, but whether they are useful in 
practice is debatable. The Priority header allows the caller to indicate 
his opinion of the priority of the call. But the callee may choose not 
to believe this because of possibility for abuse. Even if it is 
believed, there is no guarantee that it will be acted on at the callee 
end of the call, or how.

There is also 
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-salud-alert-info-urns/ which 
specifies how to use Alert-Info to cause differing sorts of alerting, 
that can be used to alert differently due to call priority.

Again, if you want to discuss this further, please do it on 
sip-implementors, unless you have a specific issue to make about a 
specific core sip capability.

	Thanks,
	Paul

On 5/3/12 11:44 AM, salini singh wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> sipcore mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipcore
>

---

From: "Avasarala, Ranjit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:37:16 +0800

Hi Salini

Currently there is no means to distinguish the calls as urgent, normal, emergency, etc.  but if you are dialing an emergency call, you would be dialing to a 911 kind of number identified by a special URL e.g. sip:911@.....

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of salini singh
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [sipcore] Types of Call

Hi,

How do we distinguish URGENT,NON_URGENT,NORMAL,EMERGENCY calls in our day to day practical/real-life?

Regards
-salini

---

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 10:54:34 +0200

There is the possibility of all sorts of indicators, but you need to identify the purpose you expect that indication to be used for. Is it for the destination entity, for proxies routeing the call, to be used for identifying the request endpoint of the call by special routeing, etc.

I'd also point out that in the two emergency call architectures I am aware of, either the Request-URI or the Route header field would be an appropriate service URN.

Regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Avasarala, Ranjit
Sent: 04 May 2012 06:37
To: salini singh; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Types of Call

Hi Salini

Regards
Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of salini singh
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 9:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [sipcore] Types of Call

Hi,

Regards
-salini