Subject: [sipcore] Proposal to revise the dual stack milestone

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 16:46:07 -0400

The Sipcore working group has the following milestone listed (at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/sipcore/about/):

Dec 2017        Request publication of mechanisms for rapid dual-stack
                protocol selection in SIP

The draft draft-johansson-sip-he-connection is listed for this
milestone.  However, that draft covers only a narrow subset of the
overall problem.

Over the past month or so, I have been canvassing Sipcore members to
find out if there is any practical demand for a dual-stack solution for
SIP.  With the exception of a particular case, I have found no interest.

Because of this, I propose that we narrow the scope of this milestone to
the one case for which I have found interest:

        Request publication of a mechanism for rapid dual-stack
        protocol selection in SIP when the destination has multiple,
        unprioritized targets for connection-oriented protocols

Conveniently, draft-johansson-sip-he-connection describes such a
mechanism.  Its mechanism closely parallels that of RFC 6555 ("Happy
Eyeballs"), and the text is essentially complete.  Because there are no
unresolved technical issues, the text is complete, and there are known
implementation instances where this mechanism is needed, I urge the
approval of this draft even if its scope is narrow.

Dale