Subject: [sipcore] RFC 7118: concerning transport=wss (and deprecated transport=tls)

From: Brett Tate <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 09:36:56 -0400

Hi,

Since the working group does not want to sanction the use of transport=tls
and transport=wss within sip-uri, it makes it hard to signal the required
transport to be used for mid-requests.  As far as I know, it forces
compliant devices to rely upon mechanisms such as DNS, sips, or local
policy to determine if wss (or tls) should continue to be used.

For example as discussed in a 2015 email thread, the RFC 7118 section 8.2
example should be modified or clarified as to what causes the client to
send ACK using transport wss instead of ws.

Should RFC 7118 be modified?  If so, how?

Section 5.5 indicates lack of DNS NAPTR/SRV support; thus can't rely upon
that.

Support for "sips" is not common; thus can't rely upon that.

If I recall correctly, the pushback about updating RFC 7118 was caused by
the desire to also do something about reviving the deprecated
"transport=tls".  However since it doesn't look like there is consensus to
sanction the use of "transport=tls", it seems like a decision concerning
RFC 7118 update/errata might now be possible.

Thanks,
Brett