Subject: [sipcore] Protocol Action: 'A SIP Response Code for Unwanted Calls' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipcore-status-unwanted-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 08:59:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A SIP Response Code for Unwanted Calls'
  (draft-ietf-sipcore-status-unwanted-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Protocol Core Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-status-unwanted/

Technical Summary

   This document defines the 607 (Unwanted) SIP response code, allowing
   called parties to indicate that the call or message was unwanted.
   SIP entities may use this information to adjust how future calls from
   this calling party are handled for the called party or more broadly.
   This is part of the larger toolkit of SIP tools being developed to
   help mitigate the issue of large-scale unwanted phone calls.

Working Group Summary

  The period of discussion for this draft was uncharacteristically short and
  vigorous for the SIPCORE working group, with over 150 messages spanning a
  three-month period. Support for the mechanism was universal, with the only
  real point of contention being how far the document should go in prescribing
  specific behaviors by network elements upon receipt of the response code. The
  current version reflects carefully crafted wording that reflects the intention
  of the code while avoiding the concerns of those parties that did not want to
  see future call-rejection behavior normatively defined.

  This draft originally defined the response code to be 666. The working
  group decided to change that to 607 after objections to 666 were raised
  during IETF LC.

Document Quality

  The document has been well reviewed within the SIP working group. While no
  implementations are known to yet exist, the need for this new response code
  has been brought to the IETF by the United States FCC and major US
  telecommunications carriers as a necessary tool for fighting unwanted phone
  calls. There is a strong implication that these parties plan to ensure a
  wide-scale roll-out of the response code, at least within the United States,
  and likely elsewhere.

Personnel

  Adam Roach is the document shepherd. Ben Campbell is the responsible
  area director.