Subject: [smartpowerdir] Bar BOF for IRTF work on energy efficiency

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 11:16:54 +0000

Dear all,

Energy-efficiency is of growing importance for the Internet and thus also
for the IETF.  There is already an IETF WG in the OPS area on energy
management (eman) and in several other WGs people are starting to consider
energy efficiency of the protocols they design.

It looks like energy efficiency has the potential to become a cross topic
affecting many areas we are working on.  But before adding action items on
energy efficiency to IETF WGs it appears to be wise to first investigate the
general problems of IETF protocols concerning energy efficiency.  One
example are keep-alive messages that keep devices from going to sleep mode
even if there are no real service requests.

One way to address the problem is to start general investigations on energy
efficiency in the IRTF.  At http://www.green-communications.net/eerg/ we
make a proposal for a new energy efficiency research group (eerg) in the
IRTF.  Please note that we consider this rather as a proposal for new work
items.  We may find that these are better shared among existing RGs.  But if
not, we would propose establishing a new RG.  There is also a mailing list
at https://listserv.netlab.nec.de/mailman/listinfo/eerg to discuss about
these issues.

For all those of you who are interested in this, we will organize a bar BOF
on Wednesday evening, July 27, after the plenary at 20:15.  The location
will be posted at the web site and on the mailing list mentioned above.  If
you would like to join, please create an entry at the doodle at
http://doodle.com/vvvpbgcmm2r78abi .  This helps organizing a location for
the bar BOF that fits all of us.

Please feel free to forward this announcement to further interested people.

See you at the bar BOF,

    Juergen