Subject: RE: Apology

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 09:05:51 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Jason Murphy <[email-masked]>
> To: "'Lloyd Wood'" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]

> There's always one unhappy person. I don't understand why you just couldn't
> let it go Lloyd. People make mistakes. Looks like your parents made a very
> big one.

I've no idea whether Mr. Murphy is a spammer, but his words are the
familiar combination apologia and flame of a spammer.  In this century,
no one who might reasonably claim to be a legitimate technical recruiter
can also claim to not know that spam is an absolutely wrong way to contact
people.  It is years too late to spam hundreds of individuals and
mailinglists and then claim it was just a mistake.  If no mistakes are
culpable, then we should empty our jails, since everyone there merely made
mistakes, even if like this spammer, getting caught by hitting IETF lists
at the same time as individuals.

That more than 99.9% and often more than 99.99% of spam targets just hit
delete is what allows such as this headhunter to continue advertising by
theft.  If a significant fraction of spam targets would respond to the
supporters of spammer, the spam problem would disappear overnight, and
not just the problem of such as this one that both scraped individual
addresses and hit IETF mailing lists.

Mr. Woods was at least half right.  His note here served to warn those
who did not also enjoy the spammer's individual attention.  In addition
to complaining here, Mr. Woods and all who received the spam should
have checked traceroute to find the responsible ISP's, then with
whois.abuse.net to find registered abuse addresses, and then written
to [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked] to demand that U.S.West (QWest) terminate
the sending account and that atomicservers.com and and internap.com
terminate the wsijobs.com home of the spammer.

That that the recruiter evidently still had its account/job to send its
applogy to the mailing list strongly suggests that wsijobs.com is not
an outfit that the prudent job seeker or firm with a job would want to
deal with.  Tolerating and perhaps ordering advertising by theft is not
a good sign about other business ethics.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 16:25:21 +0100 (BST)

> familiar combination apologia and flame of a spammer.  In this century,

He sent copies to the list and to two of my addresses.

> terminate the wsijobs.com home of the spammer.

With recruiters its normally more interesting to get as far as finding out
who he is recruiting for them complain to their management.