Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Re: Why use Slow Start when destination is local?

From: "Jeremy Harris [RU-UK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:26:19 +0100 (BST)

> > > What makes you think that different ports go via the same path or even to
> > > the same host ? Both are routinely untrue (bulk routing via satellite with
> > > interactive traffic going landlink, web caches by inktomi and friends)
> > 
> > So, by peer+port ?
> 
> Look at it from both ends view points. Its peer and port pair - otherwise
> known as "by connection"

I think you can usefully be more general than that.  From the point of
view of a host,  (peer + service) is interesting.  The "this host" element
of the 4-tuple specifying the connection is implicit, and the "local port"
is irrelevant for the case where you are a local client of a remote service
on a fixed "well-known" port number.  I'm not sure how to make it work
for ftp.

- Jeremy

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:17:44 -0600 (MDT)

> From: Alan Cox <[email-masked]>

> > > by the time you get the window slow-started-open, many TCP transfers
> > > are finished.
> > > 
> > > Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
> > 
> > Maybe it would make sense to track good window size by peer 
> > rather than by connection?
>

Also, if you can't tell whether a TCP peer is "nearby" by something
related to its "connection" (several meanings of "nearby" and
"connection"), then what alternative do you have?
You can manually configure the window size per peer with any
of several existing tactics in more than one operating system,
but manual configuration of such parameters is *alwasy* a
disaster sooner or later.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:50:30 GMT

I would welcome a discussion on the end2end-interest list of the
higher-level implications of this discussion for the Internet
architecture.  What information should the network be giving
a reliable E2E transport protocol like TCP, for any conceivable
network/link layer variants?

Bob Braden

---

From: Bob Braden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 22:50:30 GMT

Bob Braden

---

From: "Jeremy Harris [RU-UK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:10:30 +0100 (BST)

> > Vernon Schryver wrote:

So, by peer+port ?

-Jeremy

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 15:17:44 -0600 (MDT)

---

From: "Jeremy Harris [RU-UK]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:10:30 +0100 (BST)

So, by peer+port ?

-Jeremy