Subject: test suites for TCP

From: Chetan Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 11:09:12 +0530 (IST)

Hi,

	I would like to know is there any standard test suites to test TCP
implementations.

Thanks
Chetan S

---

From: "Andrei Gurtov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:17:49 +0200

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Chetan Kumar
> Sent: 13. marraskuuta 2001 7:39
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: test suites for TCP
>
>
> Hi,
>

There is a number of 'fingerprinting' methods to check which TCP
implementation is used, see e.g.
http://www.networkice.com/Advice/Countermeasures/Scanners/Fingerprinting/def
ault.htm

TBIT tool by ACIRI can tell whether a given TCP uses congestion control, the
size of inital window, etc.
http://www.aciri.org/tbit/

However, it would be nice to have a standard test suit for a network
emulator like Dummynet, Nistnet, ONE or Seawind to be able to test different
TCPs by inserting a pattern of drops, delay or reodering into a connection.

Andrei

---

From: Andi Kleen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:12:54 +0100

> 	I would like to know is there any standard test suites to test TCP
There is unfortunately no standard test suite for TCP. That is one of the
reasons why it is so hard to write a good TCP.

-Andi

---

From: Chetan Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:26:58 +0530 (IST)

On Tue, 13 Nov 2001, Andrei Gurtov wrote:

*>> Hi,
*>> 	I would like to know is there any standard test suites to test TCP
*>> implementations.
*>There is a number of 'fingerprinting' methods to check which TCP
*>implementation is used, see e.g.
<snip>

*>
*>However, it would be nice to have a standard test suit for a network

Yes, I feal the same.. Just now mail Andi on the same issue 

(copied the same again)

Just a question: 
Why doesn't some one write something like "standard test suite for XX
protocol" make this part of standard IETF documents. Like there are
various Internet protocol defined, and it is a real good idea to have a
standard test suites so that it much easier for implementors to write a
good inter-operable code. Especially if this is IETF document..

Thanks
Chetan S

*>emulator like Dummynet, Nistnet, ONE or Seawind to be able to test different
*>TCPs by inserting a pattern of drops, delay or reodering into a connection.
*>
*>Andrei
*>

--

---

From: Murali Bashyam <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:28:53 -0800

> reasons why it is so hard to write a good TCP.

ANVL test suite from Midnight networks would be a good place to start.

http://www.empirix.com/Empirix/voice+network+test/products/_anvl+faq.html.

Murali