Subject: Documents on Timestamps option

From: Noritoshi Demizu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 17:01:39 +0900

Hi all,

(I am sorry if here is not an appropriate forum to ask this question.)

Q: Which document is the best to refer to implement TCP Timestamps option?

TCP Timestamps option is defiend in RFC1323, which is a proposed standard.
However, through my experience, I think step (2) of section 3.4 in RFC1323
should be fixed as described in section 2.3 of [1] bellow.  Otherwise,
measured RTT could become much larger than the actual value when ACKs
were lost.

I found an internet-draft [2], which is to update RFC1323 and fixes
the problem above.  But, it has not been published as an RFC.  Is
there a technical problem in this I-D?

So, I am wondering which document I should refer to.

Thank you very much.

Noritoshi Demizu.

[1] R. Braden, "TCP Extensions for High Performance: An Update", Jun 1993
    http://www.kohala.com/start/tcplw-extensions.txt
[2] V. Jacobson, R. Braden and D. Borman, "TCP Extensions for High
    Performance", Feb 1997
    http://www.watersprings.org/pub/id/draft-ietf-tcplw-high-performance-00.txt