Subject: regarding URG and PSH flags in send() call

From: "Aji" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:10:11 +0530

Hi

In the Linux stack version 2.4.2, how the urgent and push flags are set in the send() user call ?

The application gives the send call as

int send (int sockfd, const void *msg, int len, int flags);

what is the flags mentioned in the above send() call?

awaiting reply
regards
Aji Varghe

---

From: der Mouse <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:57:13 -0500 (EST)

> set in the send() user call ?

I don't know Linux specifically.  But unless they've broken
compatability with Berkeley (which invented send()), URG is set only
when userland does an "out-of-band" send and PSH is set at the end of
each send() (or other calls which write data, such as write()).

> what is the flags mentioned in the above send() call?

This is rather an RTFM.  See the manpage for send().  Mine (which,
again, isn't Linux) says

     The flags parameter may include one or more of the following:

     #define MSG_OOB        0x1  /* process out-of-band data */
     #define MSG_DONTROUTE  0x4  /* bypass routing, use direct interface */

The OOB notion is a gross (and broken) kludge, at least as applied to
TCP, but that's a rant for another message.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       [email-masked]
/ \ Email!	     7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B